Monday, December 7, 2009

First Check-up Today!

Hi everyone!


I had my first post-surgery visit at Sloan-Kettering today. It was...interesting. I left the apartment at 2 for my 3:30 appointment, and when I arrive I'm told the doctor is running "a little behind." Luckily I'd just started a new book, and they have hot chocolate, so I'm okay. Finally around 5 p.m. I'm called back to a room. I wait until about 6 to see the doctor. Surprisingly, I don't get too angry even though I'm feeling really awful and just want to be at home in bed. It's hard to be mad when you know that there are much sicker patients, waiting just like you are. Sure they could have called, but they didn't, and it is what it is.


Anyway, they were super impressed with how well my wound healed. Apparently this was a major concern (good thing I didn't know that before!). I told him how much pain I had been in and how I'd been having trouble sleeping; I also told him how surprised I was at how difficult recovery has been compared to my first surgery. Apparently, this was expected as well. He said the surgery was much more complicated than my first, and maybe he didn't warn me enough for how much pain I'd be in. Again, probably a good thing I didn't know that ahead of time!


I am going back to see him in three weeks, hopefully I won't have to wait as long. :)


On a good note, Ryan has a permanent job at AIG! So instead of exchanging Christmas gifts we are taking a trip to London and Paris in the spring (when I have leave again). We can't wait!!




1 comment:

  1. Hi, Susan! I would like to thank you for creating this blog! Thanks to you, now I know the DTRF and the listserv from ACOR. I have so much knowledge comparing with what I knew before I find your blog... Thank you very much for everything you share here! I can say that you was essential to my healing [that I'm sure I will be] without even knowing me :)
    Oh, and I've created a blog as well, but in portuguese I want to help people and bring to them information too, it gets even harder to get information when you're not fluent in english :)

    Healing thoughts

    ReplyDelete