Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

In October, after many months of fundraising and training, I completed the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer with my team. The walk consisted of walking 26.2 miles on Saturday, sleeping in tents on Randall's Island Saturday night, then walking another 13.1 miles on Sunday.

Hands down this was one of the biggest challenges, and most rewarding experiences, I've ever had in my life. Crossing that finish line was an unbelievable feeling. Even with my tumors and my pain, I was able to push my body and complete the walk. I also gained an enormous amount of perspective on what I'm going through--it's not nearly as difficult as the battle of breast cancer that millions of women are facing each day. It was inspirational to see womenof all ages, both sick and healthy, walking beside me.

The only down side to the whole experience was that I was having joint pain again in my hands, and I believed it was the neurontin. I ended up stopping taking it and the joint pain went away, but the nerve pain increased. And I didn't realize how swollen your hands and fingers become from all that walking, so let's just say they didn't look or feel so pretty.


My feet still aren't quite right, but like they said at the walk blisters don't hurt as much as chemotherapy. I feel like I can accomplish anything now! What a great feeling. Below are a couple pictures of my team during our journey.



Here we are at the Wellness Village on Randall's Island, after 26.2 miles walked. It was our home away from home for the night.








And here's a picture of us on our way across the Brooklyn Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment